Thursday 12 May 2016

Green Gables Fables // Snippet Review



So this isn't going to be such a snippet review, more like an epic or something, but hey, there's a lot to say.



SNIPPET REVIEWS: Brief, rambling, concise, or incomprehiensive, fangirling or bashing.





So if you don't already know, Green Gables Fables is a Literary Inspired Webseries based on the Anne of Green Gables books. (I think officially the first season is based on Anne of Green Gables, the interlude in transmedia on Anne of Avonlea, and season two on Anne of the Island)



Hmm, where to start. 

First impression/watching.

Season 1, Episode 1

I can't remember exactly how I stumbled across it, but one day I found it and as the first season had all already aired. I could marathon watch - yay! 


The first few episodes could be a little boring with just Anne talking and talking, but was good to really set up her character before anyone else was introduced. Then the action gets going and it was just so enjoyable, I loved it. The adaptation was good for a modern version and the characters were explored a little more, which I loved.


Anyway, brief overview. I know. Go watch it.
But first, I want to talk about the characters.

Characters/Casting
Anne, played by Mandy Harmon

I wasn't sure at first, but Mandy played an excellent Anne, I just loved it. She portrayed the romantic, fantasizing teenager well, and she had some great humorous lines in there.


The only time she ever annoyed me was as the character, Anne can get so stubborn sometimes, I always get annoyed with her when Gil is so apologetic.

Gilbert, played by Tanner Gillman

Ok, Gilbert. I just love Tanner so much as Gilbert. I would even go as far as to say I liked him better than Jonathan Crombie's version. Shh.

To be honest, I think his Gilbert was what really made this adaptation for me. He added so much to the character of Gilbert, mostly his humor. Also he just looks like Gilbert.



Transmedia
Transmedia was such a huge part of the webseries, particularly in the second season, it really developed the characters and sometimes introduced key plot points.

Prime example (season one):


It was really great because it showed realtionships between different chracters, but the characters also interacted with the fans, which is really neat.

Some parts are storyline, while others are just unrelated pure gold:
And with Season two it just gets better:


Season two was just a bundle of feels and joy.


Just watch it, okay?


Image result for green gables fables season 2






Well, there you go. rambling snippet review. 





3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS WEBSERIES! Wait they have instagram!? DUUUDE I need to follow them! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I just found your blog, by the bye, and I liked it enough to follow it!)
    Okay, so I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Anne books themselves. My question is, how much do you think a stickler for the books would like this web series? It looks good, but would it ruin the books to much? I mean, I don't even like the Kevin Sullivan Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel because he murders the books. So would you recommend it to someone like me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you and welcome :)
      Ooh, tough question. I'll admit I have not read the later Anne books, but my sisters have and I have an idea of the story, haha. Yes, I was thinking that the other day, despite the popularity of the Kevin Sullivan movies (I personally love them, they are great movies) they are rather inaccurate.
      I guess as a modern adaptation it's bound to change, I would say if you're prepared to see some changes you might enjoy it. It is different, but you might still like it; that's all I can say really.
      Hope that was somewhat helpful :)

      Delete